PANDORA – Series 3 rebuild (with pics)

MIKEYT88

Hello all, have introduced myself as a newbie over on the introductions page, just finished uploading a few pics of my series 3 rebuild so far,

(Pandora) is progressing slowly lots of previous owner evils lurking and im sure theres lots more to come.

Have included a link to pictures, hoping link works , if not let me know.

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/mikyt88/library/?sort=2&page=1

You have a relatively rare vehicle there - one of the last SIIIs with the 90/110 rear light arrangement and a few other details like how the transmission tunnel bolts to the bulkhead. It'll be a shame to lose the identity of the vehicle by using a second hand chassis, though I can see the cost advantage of what you're doing. Still, the chassis doesn't look terrible from the photos - repairs to the dumb irons and new bulkhead outriggers aside, it looked pretty reasonable. Make sure you check for rot inside the void of the rear spring shackle hangers - the bottom face oft he chassis rots out inside that mud trap.

hi snagger, yes it would be a shame, im aware of its relative rareness being registered in 85' and having the defender style cross over rear lights / location fittings, the front also has additions for left hand drive steering as well as right which the earlier chassis dosent. don't know when this was incorporated.

The problems I have is that if you look closely if possible on photos, the bulk head under the windscreen is rotted out completely on one side, and theres a lot of cutting welding and prefabbing to repair that bulk head, the chassis isn't too bad ive seen a lot worse but what hold me back is my own abilities and time.

Also the rear cross member has obviously been replaced by a heavy squared girder like half box section of metal which detracts greatly from originality, a previous owner repair / modification no doubt.

the replacement chassis isn't with out its problems a hole here and there a couple of brackets etc missing but that's after extensive strip down and as you can see getting to it on its side etc. but its better, the amount of work and welding and metal needed to fix the original bulkhead and chassis is totally beyond my skills and time and ability, ( I have turfed out 2 10k mg's for the summer to get the series sorted and don't want them still out there by winter)

I have no welding experience what so ever so its a decent mig welder and a bit of practice and a lot of luck, I also am doing this totaly single handed, as ive said in previous post im a relative billy no mates down here having recently moved so I don't have any help on hand to do the welding etc so to restore the original bulkhead and chassis isn't something I can do by myself in the time ive got too. otherwise I would keep its 100% originality,

I will keep what is left original bulkhead chassis and cover and store so maybe one day it can be rescued if I get better or practice on.

totally appreciate your comments, and agree whole heartedly.

If you can somehow stretch to a brand new chassis, you'll get it built by Richards to the correct spec for the year and would be able to keep the ID, even with the bulkhead swap. Not only that, but you wouldn't have to do any welding or have any doubts about missed spots and future repairs. Keeping the bulkhead for a later repair is a good idea, and reintegration would be nice and could help with its value in the more distant future. Good luck, whatever you do.

Hi. Unfortunatly not a chance on a new chassis I've seen prices and I could never stretch to that kind of money. If i cant save these 2 they would have now been weighed In For scrap and lost forever, i can only do my best for time being. thank you for your Interest and advice.