Clutch not engaged

xarmy

SWB 76 S3 After sitting for a few years, found dry powder in clutch master cylinder. Recently changed the whole unit for new, think it bled properly, with little explosions of crappy old fluid until clean fluid bleeding at slave. Good pedal pressure, started vehicle and changed to all gears well, with a little grinding to reverse. Pedal just kept coming in all gears and clutch won't engage. Seems to be easier to change into gear with pedal down, but no motion, or change of engine tone at all! With central seat panel out there might be a little whine when in reverse with clutch pedal in, but not for long. Any ideas from the brains trust?

The crystals are corrosion, so you are right to have replace the master cylinder. The problem is that you probably have the same contamination and damage throughout the hydraulic system, so need to strip it all out for inspection. If you find the slave cylinder to be clean and unscored or corroded, then you can re-use it after careful inspection of the seal. However, I'd be surprised if the flexible hose passes inspection, and the steel pipes may be partially blocked too (it may be possible to clean them out with a length of stiff wire as a ramming rod, flushing through with hot water and then hydraulic fluid (you don''t want to leave water in there of reassembly). I doubt it's a problem inside the bell housing, which is when it gets really awkward.

When bleeding the clutch, I find i can only get proper function if I bleed it with the vehicle nose elevated (parked on an up slope or using jacks/stands/ramps) to get the air in the slave to the bleed nipple, rather than sitting static against the piston. That may be worth trying first!

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Which Regiment or Corps were you in? Lots of ex-services on here!

Thanks for the prompt reply Snagger. Yes I thought I would be up for a reaming of the whole system. I guess the slave is frozen open by the corrosion/decomposied fluid.

Will get onto that soon, and I happen to have a new slave as well. I was worried that I would have to get into throwout bearings etc but hopefully a good clean will sort it. And I do beg your pardon, mate, but the vehicle is xarmy, not me. If I did have a fantasy life, I hope it would involve more sleep!

Cheers

With the vehicle having stood so long, the only likely issue inside the bell housing will be a rusty flywheel and pressure plate. They can usually be shocked free by chocking the wheels, engaging 4th low and the hand brake, and then starting the engine with the clutch pedal pressed down (4th is the strongest gear, and the least likely to result in internal damage while doing this). It's highly unlikely that you'll have a problem with the release bearing or fork; the problems are almost certainly hydraulic.

Let us know how you get on, and try to get some photos of the old girl up on here!

• 3 weeks later...

OK snagger, finally got around to trying your suggestion. When I first got up on the stands i became distracted by brakes etc..but all good now.

I did mis remember your post when in the vehicle so simply tried to start in H4 as you said, but with all wheels off, no handbrake- no joy..all wheels moving as expected. Eventually put the wheels back on for a bit of at least mental resistance, and shazam! with no noise at all I pushed down the pedal and wheels slowed to a halt. Quick as a flash off the stands and had to have a quick,

(and I had forgotten how wide) circle of the front lawn. Many thanks for your help, mate. I will attempt to add a photo if my 10 year old will help me!