Think gearbox problems??? please help

Pepp22

Hi all I'm new to this forum

I have a discovery 2 TD5 ES 2001 auto

When I put my foot on the accelerator pedal It changes down in the box and holds it there, the engine just revs up and down stays moving at the same speed but I have to lift off the accelerator and then ease it back in to get it to move faster. when i pull away from standing still at half throttle it hold it in first gear and does the same as above stays in first but revs up and down and stays at a slow speed then have to come off the throttle and ease it back in to get it to move faster!!

Sounds like a gearbox problem I think???

can anyone put me in the right directon to correct this fault please???

thanks

Steven Pepp

Oil level, sounds like the first move is to change the oil if it's very dark red almost black and smells burnt most likely clutch packs in the box have given up fresh oil will help for a while.

There is no dipstick on a D2 just a level plug at the front of the autobox sump pan, level needs to be checked with engine running box in neutral, wear eardefenders while your under there .

A new filter for the box is also a great thing to do as there very rarely get changed but sump pan needs to come off and it's a messy job not hard just messy

Hi thanks for your reply guys

The oil level is fine whilst running but checked it whilst in park is that a problem??

The oil is a bit dark to be honest so will change it and the filter at the same time, i've never worked on a auto box before where is the filter located once you drop the sump??

Would there be any sensors if so would you recomend changing them??

What oil would be recommended to put in it as I herd they do run very hot??

Sorry for all the question but just unsure about it as I wanna take it billing at the end of the month

Thanks Steve Pepp

the filter is fairly obvious once the sump is removed, you will need a set of torkx keys to remove it.

Standard auto transmission oil is fine and change it every 30,000 k"s. Change the filter every second oil change, not mandatory but a good practice.

The oil runs up to 130 degrees Centigrade and I often have the high temp light come on - factory set at 135C - when I'm driving on one of my trips into the Austraian deserts with ambient temps up in the high 30's to middle 40's (centigrade that is - when this happens its a cold beer break while the old beast - and me - cools down)

If it still want change gears smoothly I'd be having Ashcrofts look at the govenor.