Cut out and wont start

I have a defender 90 from 1986 is has a discovery 200tdi engine,

as I was driving along i lost all throttle power i took my foot off the pedal completely and put it down again and it returned back to normal 5 mins later it did it again i repeated the taking foot off pedal trick it worked again then the next time it just cut out completely and wont start again i added more fuel to see if it had just ran out still no luck ? any help or ideas on the problem ?

could be just the connection of the connector on the injector pump stop solenoid .

happens now and again on my 300tdi and its same setup on the 200tdi as i have a disco 200tdi too .

to check the solenoid works , unplug the connector from the stop solenoid on the rear of the injector pump , then switch ignition on , then put the wire connection onto the solenoid terminal connector and you should hear it go click , you can put the connector against the terminal just by resting it and you can see if the solenoid goes click click click etc as you tap the connector against the terminal .

if it does go click then the stop solenoid is working , it is open when there is voltage to it and closed when no voltage , so in other words if you lose the connection between the plug and the terminal the engine will stop .

usually the connector and/or terminal become corroded and lose contact , most of the time all thats required is a simple pull off and put back on again of the wire and it will all be fine again .

mine stopped on me going up a steep incline last year , easy job to sort out but was funny trying to get bonnet up when it was already at 45degs angle on the slope .

hopefully this is your problem and nothing else but the lift pumps can fall apart inside and stop being able to mechanically pump , although usually you lose power when these go but the engine doesnt necessarily stop on you .

if engine actually cuts out mid flight then i think its just the stop solenoid wire connector losing contact .