Tyre advice for a 2006 TD4

MichaelS

Hi All,

I have read a number of posts from a number of you here and I have to thank you all for helping me out understand my Freelander better! I bought the vehicle in Sept 2012 with 105 000kms on the clock and I have now got 127 000kms on it. I have done the following:

- Replaced Brake Light switch - yes I had the amigo's and diagnosed the problem to the brake light switch

- Replaced clutch slave cylinder

- Cleaned out the EGR valve - but I can do this again seeing the state it was in!

- Replaced PCV filter

- 3 x oil changes every 7000 kms which included oil and air filter change

- Replaced brake calliper pins as the brakes were rattling terribly! But now I may have to replace disc and pads!

And now, the Caveat: I have to look at bigger profile tyres as I am headed to Botswana in December (very thick sand and need capability to deflate tyres). I am currently running Michelin Latitude Tour HP 225/55 r17. So, what is the biggest tyre I can fit on this vehicle without lifting with the standard 17" rims ro do I have to do a lift as well? If I have to do a lift, what do I need to know and do?

All comments welcome and many thanks in advance!

Regards from sunny South Africa

I have a similar TD4 and found the 225/55/17 tyres gave a harsh ride and expensive to replace. I bought off ebay a set of 16" rims, fitted 215/65/16 tyres which has improved the ride a lot and then sold the 17's. The overall cost to me was about 1 wheel and tyre for a better set up.

I am told you can air them down but I don't know how much.

I have a similar TD4 and found the 225/55/17 tyres gave a harsh ride and expensive to replace. I bought off ebay a set of 16" rims, fitted 215/65/16 tyres which has improved the ride a lot and then sold the 17's. The overall cost to me was about 1 wheel and tyre for a better set up.

I am told you can air them down but I don't know how much.

Thanks bm52,

I had thought of the same route and have placed a couple ads looking for the wheels but unfortunately we do not have as greater following here in SA re Freelanders compared to the UK. I am scrounging around scrap yards now as well, but ideally, I would like to swap them out with someone else.

I have heard (and I have done myself) of deflating the tyres to around 1.4 - 1.5 bar but this was only for a very short period of time. My question still remains though, can I fit a 60 or 65 profile on the 17" rim?

Thanks in advance to all.