Possible head gasket?

chrisgurney1982

Hi Guys,

Reasonably new to the forum so go easy! I have a 1999 discovery 2 td5. I have been losing a little coolant for about 7 months now, probably topped it up with about half a litre every week, this has been driving me nuts as you would imagine. I have replaced the radiator, header cap, thermostat, water pump, seals on the fuel cooler and replaced all the Jesus clips with stainless jubilees, heater matrix is also fine. Decided to put an optical level sensor in my header tank a little while ago as an early warning device so hasn't overheated during my ownership. Truck runs well apart from the coolant loss. However, I'm after a second opinion, I've read just about every post about the HG problems on the td5 but nothing about what is happening now! On Monday the ol girl started to puff smoke on my way into work, after a few days, I realized it's only happening when the engines warm/hot, so Thursday I decided to do a service, changed oil and filters, air and fuel also. Was getting a fair amount of oily mayonnaise in the breather from the rocker so cleaned this out also. I also fitted an oil catch can into this pipe to help in the future. The smoke had a tinge of blue so assumed it was burning a bit of oil. Anyway, my service had no effect, so tried a bottle of Archoil to clear the injectors a bit, still no different. Today, however, after getting back from the in-laws, I popped the bonnet while the engine was still running and puffing smoke and decided to carefully unscrew the header tank cap, once the little amount of pressure released the smoke cleared and ran clean as a whistle. Has anyone else experienced this before? I have just ordered all the parts for doing the HG so fingers crossed this is my problem. Any opinions and ideas welcome. Chris.

Hiya, that's what I thought, bit unusual tho as the header tank doesn't pressurize as you would expect from a blowing gasket, cap is ok as it's another part I've already replaced but it just seams to build enough pressure to force coolant into a cylinder, I'm assuming, to burn up and out the exhaust, I was expecting to see bubbles in the tank. Doesn't smoke at all when cold only when she warms up. Looks like the spanners will be out next weekend again!