Soft dash - central locking gremlins

Thrasher

Need help: out of the blue today my central locking system has stopped working.

My Rangie is one of the last Classic: soft dash built in early 1996

First thing I did, checked operating with the key...and nothing

Second, checked all the fuss under the steering wheel...and nothing

Any clues? Where else can I easily check?

Under the steering wheel? Hahahahaha that's far too logical for one of them!

Ecu for that is in the passenger footwell iirc. Your best bet is to look at the wiring diagrams, and get your head round understanding how it's all supposed to work in the first instance. Once you've got your head round it all, it's surprisingly easy to troubleshoot the electrics on a soft dash, but getting your head round it is the hard bit. Checking the manual will also guide you to the location of the correct ecu and all the associated relays as I sold mine about 5 years ago now so can't honestly remember.

A favourite on those is dry joints on the pins on the various ecu's (there are lots of them) where the wiring look plugs into. When I had mine I fixed a lot of things just by taking the ecu's apart and re soldering the joints for the wiring loom connectors. This is a favourite on the electiric window ecu, auto dimming rear view mirror among others.....

Jon