Transfer box diff lock not engaging - linkages checked!

Tom.H

I own a 200tdi Defender 110 which has done 190,000 miles and from what I know has its original transferbox

After fitting a front Double Cardan propshaft the vehicle developed a grinding sound on overrun above 50mph.

The grinding sound was avoidable as long as I didn’t jump of the throttle quickly or if I applied only a slight throttle so I left it as I was for a couple of 1000 miles.

I determined this grinding occurred due to a worn front transferbox output bearing and changed it however the issue was not resolved.

After using the vehicle off road I noticed I could not engage the transfer box diff lock. After removing the transmission cover I confirmed the difflock selector shaft going into the transfer box rotated (three clicks through its travel) and the shaft it bears on inside the transfer box moves forwards and back.

My theory is that the grinding sound I have been hearing has worn away the teeth on the locking mechanism of the diff lock.

I just wondered if my theory was feasible and if anyone could confirm this would be the consequence of running a transfer box with a badly worn output bearing for a long period?

Many Thanks

Tom

Hi I had this trouble.

Remove the cover in the middle of the cab under the seat and look for where the linkages go to. The cover had 6 bolts on top of it and it about the length and width of a hand remove these the tighten the grub screw back onto the shaft that's what my problem was yours could be the same!

I have removed the three bolt plate on the transfer box (red circle) and have been able to remove the diff lock selector shaft and move the shaft it bears on forwards and back. Apart from this very little can be seen

Obviously if I could remove the plate on the side of the transfer box (yellow arrow) I would be able to determine the issue however this is not possible as the gearbox prevents the fixings being undone.

I can’t see what I would achieve removing the 6 bolt cover (circled green) as I believe this only allows access to the low/high range mechanism.

post-7126-0-65737100-1410022713_thumb.jpg