Defender headlights........

I am about to upgrade the wiring with relays on my headlights, however, when doing a quick check i found when on dipped that i have a small amount of current getting to the main beam wire.......... is this a sign of the dip switch being duff..????

I've taken the column shroud off and found that even at the multi plug there is current on the main beam wire even on dipped..... so whilst i suspected that i may have a melted loom somewhere, i now suspect the switch is at fault......

Can someone confirm...??

1986 90.....

i have bought new connectors for the bulb end, and so have cut off the original, even with the three wires inches apart i still get a small current in the main beam when ono dipped....

Still gonna do the relay mod, but thinking i need to get a new switch otherwise the small current might switch main beam on when i don;t want it.........

I'd check the fusebox for corrosion, and look at the contacts and earthing on the individual headlamp H4 plugs.

Assuming you've got proper halogen H4-style headlamps and not horrid sealed-beams.

Equally - if you've got the stupid 'dim-dip' thing - bypass it. It's totally unnecessary and will reduce the life of your headlamp bulbs. Much better to put your headlamps on proper-beam for general use rather than glow-worm-power dim-dip.

As per top post, its a 1986 90.... was a turbo diesel i believe, now v8....

I have just gone back out and disconnected the other headlamp bulb, and there is now no current coming into the main beam wire when on dipped, the next question is, how the heck does that happen...???

The power supply will come from the cut-off on the front of the battery box, so the intention is to run a twin wire to each side of the truck, with a relay for dipped and main beam each side, so the earth might aswell go to the battery, it might be overkill having four relays, but at least that way i can fuse each side, and it keeps things seperate.............