DISCOVERY 2004 TD5 - INJECTOR CLEANER - LIQUI-MOLY DIESEL PURGE - Best method of use?

Hi,

I recently used two 500ml cans of Diesel Purge and have great results. I had blue-ish black smoke under acceleration or heavy loading (hills etc). I was advised to give the injectors a good clean. I worked for 90% of it; I have noticed only one or two 'puff's when following the vehicle. I intend to do a third can but I would like some advice on the best usage. All advice shows that you use the cleaner as directly as possible (hose from fuel filter to fuel pump and the return hose to the fuel tank). This is appears easy on a 200 or 300 but not as straightforward on the TD5. I removed the fuel filter (for both cans) emptying out the diesel and filling with cleaner as this seems the most direct route to the injectors without being diluted in the tank. Am I correct? Can anyone advise how (if possible) to do it more directly (less dilution) or is the fuel filter method good enough?

Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

The Td5 fuel filter contains the return and low pressure circuits only so most of your stuff might have ended up in the tank by the return pipe, the HP feed goes directly from the pump to the head(FPR) and the in-tank pump ''sucks'' fuel from the tank ... you can't properly use that stuff on a Td5 unless you use some external pump for that fluid inserted in the FPR