300 tdi alarm issue

Help please!

We have not driven our 300tdi defender for about 6 months.

A few months ago my son removed the battery as he needed it for another vehicle.

Yesterday I refitted it fully charged, but when I connect the live terminal the hooter and alarm sounded and I cannot get the key fob button to deactivate it.

It is strange, it did not happen straight away. When I connected the battery first time it was fine, no hoot or alarm, and it started on first turn of ignition, but it stalled. Upon 2nd key turn, the engine turns over but its not firing (immobilizer?) and then within a few moments the alarm sounded. I could not de-activate it with the fob and had to disconnect the battery.

Now when I reconnect the battery live the hooter gives a single hoot, then another and then hoots erratically for about 15-30 seconds, like Beep-beep-----beep----------beep-----beep-beep-beep-beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep-beep---------as if there is a loose connection on the hooter wire and then a constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep and then the alarm siren comes on and both horn and siren sound continuously.

In case it was a flat battery in the key fob, I just popped to halfords and fitted a new battery, but it is no better.

Whats happening please?

It sounds like the fob. If you disconnect the battery more than 15 seconds after removing the key, the battery back up sounder will go off. If it's been away from a power source for a long time (like yours) then this would potentially be flat also. Hence when you reconnect the battery, the alarm then sounds, as it might remember it wasn't disconnected in the proper fashion.

I used to get similar symptoms when I disconnected the battery using a kill switch.

Pressing the unlock on the fob when reconnecting the battery should just stop the alarm and make everything happy. I would have said replace the fob battery, but seeing as you replaced it, did you follow the procedure in the manual to resync the fob to the car after it was replaced?

It sounds like the fob. If you disconnect the battery more than 15 seconds after removing the key, the battery back up sounder will go off. If it's been away from a power source for a long time (like yours) then this would potentially be flat also. Hence when you reconnect the battery, the alarm then sounds, as it might remember it wasn't disconnected in the proper fashion.

I used to get similar symptoms when I disconnected the battery using a kill switch.

Pressing the unlock on the fob when reconnecting the battery should just stop the alarm and make everything happy. I would have said replace the fob battery, but seeing as you replaced it, did you follow the procedure in the manual to resync the fob to the car after it was replaced?

Thank you for your reply.

No I did not resync the fob. I just replaced the battery. I do not have the handbook, so i will see if i can find that procedure on line. Thank you.