P38 Fuel pump timing chain.

gkm24

Just fitted a second hand engine to my Diesel P38 2.5 which came minus the fuel pump.

I do not know if the engine was turned while the pump was removed and need to check that the fuel pump sprocket is in the correct position. I can not find this info in the manual and wondered if anyone can enlighten me please.
Many Thanks.

Two chains on this engine - Crank to injector pump and injector pump to camshaft. Timing is set by aligning bright links on the lower chain itself. Crank has a timing pip on it as does the injector pump sprocket 1 bright link is set on the crank sprocket, and the other on the injector pump sprocket. That's the lower half of the engine timing set. The upper chain has no bright links, but the timing of the camshaft has to be set with a special setting tool. The tensioner has to be compressed as well while the chain is reattached. The timing must be spot on, or there will very expensive damage as soon as you turn the key.

Les