D1 96 V8 Brake problems! No brake sometimes.

isbjorn

Hi.

I got this problem with the ABS kicking in when I'm doing my first brake after starting the car. It only happens maybe 1/10 times. I then have to pump 3-4 times to get any braking power to talk about. Its just making classic ABS noise and vibrations in the brake pedal and a very very weak braking power.

I then removed the ABS 30 amp fuse and thought that was that.

But yesterday starting the car and pulling out in to a slope. The brakes hardly worked at all. It just made a tjunk, tjunk, tjunk and the pedals stopped quite hi up. It was a lot of resistance in the pedal but pushing it hard didn't help much. I tried to pump but had to restart the car, which didn't help, then suddenly it was back to normal again. Quite scary. It has also happened some times after driving a while...

Ive bleed the system and the brake fluid is new and fresh. What is the next step? Its not loosing any fluid what I can se, unless its a super slow leak.

(also got this squeaking noise when driving with probably is connected to the front brakes, maybe unrelated, got new wheel bearings all around)

Super thanks for any advice.

Slight difference in the age of our vehicles but they are both v8s so it could be relevant.

I had occasional (scary) lack of braking and it turned out to be the non-return valve on the top of the manifold that goes to the servo. It was sticking - just took a clean with some solvent to get it moving freely again. There's actually a valve at both ends of the hose, so it could be either one.

Not sure how the abs complicates things. A bit of a long shot, but easy to check so worth a go I reckon.

• 8 months later...

Hi. Thanks for the tip. Didn't help thou. Ended up removing all the electric cables going to the servo box as well as the Fuse.

That stopped the whole ABS thing form happening. And no ABS warning light. And no ABS :)