Possible ringer

Sharkdisco

On the same subject, anyone read the latest Total Off-Road magazine?.

It has an article on buying a hybrid, lots of comments on how someone made it etc, but nothing what so ever about the legal status of the vehicle.

It is clearly registered (and taxed I assume) as a 1959 SWB, but descibed as a shortened Range Rover chassis, I know there is a points system but since it has a Range Rover chassis (modified), axles, steering, suspension and a changed engine, then if anything it should carry the Range Rover registration and identity or a Q plate. Before the SVA it was legal to modify chassis with out a retest so it MIGHT fall into that age but there is no way enough parts for it to be a 1959 series 2.

Picture 2 page 30 also shows some very dodgy welding and a rust hole in the left chassis leg (although I have seen a lot worse on road vehicles!).

A lot of people will get away with this and not consider it a problem, in many cases it isn't until something happens and for some reason the vehicle is examined then everything comes apart. Potentially it will be confiscated as no provable identity, fined for being on the road with no tax (this could be viewed as fraud) and what could be the worst bit no valid insurance. If the reason for the examination is a serious accident the insurance company WILL look for a way out, if you have insured a series 2 but the police examiner says it is not the insurance is totally void and you become personally liable for any costs, injuries etc, if you have any assets (house?) wave good bye to it.

I saw that story too, no magazine will tell you the truth about this, which is a bit scary, because most newbies will read the mag and think it is therefore ok to have a tax free defender. The pre 98 rule in my opinion is flawed, because if there is no test done than there is no paperwork to prove it, so it could be any date. That makes it a handy rule for anyone to hide behind with an illegal car, but i doubt it will stand up in court if you had a big shunt. Ultimately, your car needs to be tested and proven against construction and use regs, pre 98 or not. So if the car is standard it is type approval, if not its IVA.