One Lump or Two ??

nige90

Feels like the clutch on the 90's about to give up the ghost. Pedal travel is reducing (goes

solid half way down as the slave tops out) and there's a horrid shrieking from the

bellhousing when depressed. Now have to knock the engine off to engage reverse (all in

20 miles too) :angry:

I have to admit to being a little......p****d at this as the clutch was new 18 months ago

when I fitted the 200Tdi. :angry::angry:

I've had the box of a few years back when it popped a selector, and the engine the

aforementioned 18mths ago but never both together. I've decided to make the most

of the situation and replace the output gear in the box and put new mains, big ends and

rings/pistons in the motor.

So is it any easier to remove them as one huge lump and does this negate the need to

remove the floor pans and interior panels ?

BTW it's an '87 90 with LT77 and 200Tdi.

Nige, Ive never done it on a 90 (on series and Rangies though), to me, any access you can gain is a bonus, I wouldnt think twice about taking out floor panels for more access.

If your working on both, then I personaly would go for them together, assuming your crane/hoist is man enough, the more front panels you can remove will make it easier and easier.

Also, take the opportunity to re-loom / brake pipe if you need them, so much easier with an empty bay IMHO.

2 separate problems IMHO

The first (solid pedal) is probably the ball heading south through the clutch fork, the second one sounds like the release bearing. Did you change both these when you did it 18 months ago?

Yep, sure did and that's what makes it so bloody annoying.