Discovery 2 Landmark TD 5 2004

Paddler2.5

Hello I am new to landrover ownership i have been getting to know my new purchase and found it has oil leaking from the cam cover seal.There is also oil underneath the area below the battery and ECU are these likely to be connected?

And not sure if it is safe to disconnect the battery as i don't have the radio code. But not sure if i need it as the hand book says if the code has been set the word " code" should appear when it is switched on.

Thanks for any help.

The oil underneath the battery is often in my experience a large amount of oil that has found it's way into the ecu. (Do a search for TD5 oil in ecu) It's caused by oil tracking back through the injector loom that lives inside the head. To cure your issues, order up a rocker cover gasket and a new injector loom, fit them and clean out the ecu plug with brake cleaner, for the following few weeks you may need to keep cleaning the plug to get rid of the build up. Some people recommend packing the plug with something like vaseline, not sure how effective that is. While you're there, order a new cam front blanking plug, they're a round cap with an o ring in them that is just a push fit in the front of the head but they often flatten out with age and go loose, allowing oil to leak out that gets blown everywhere by the fan.

Thanks dave88sw thats more or less what i thought. I had pondered taking the ECU out for inspection but i need to disconect the battery and I am not in possession of the radio code.I have looked in the hand book it says if the code has been activated by the deal the word "code" will appear when the radio switches on. It does not appear on my radio so not sure if it is coded or not? If I disconnect the power and lose the code can i get it back and does this cost?

I don't know to be honest, i've disconnected a few in the past and not needed codes, others have needed them but they've always been in the car.

You can get the code from a dealer with your chassis number so long as the radio hasnt been changed at some point. I've never been charged but you'd have to try your dealer and see what they say