Defender 110 Help from a new member..

Hello from a new member... bit of background, had Freelanders 1 & 2 (still have an 09 plate 2) Discovery & a couple of range rovers some years ago.

Looking for some advice about buying a 110 defender, going to be a keeper & cover a lot of miles in hot climates. I know nothing regarding Defenders so if you have the time to give advice I thank you in advance.

Budget is max £20k so need to know what's worth buying and what's not as when the money's spent that's me done.

Any advice regarding model changes/engines/upgrades ect. And what I should expect to get for my money?

Cheers..

It would help if you told us you actual intended use. Lot's of miles in hot climates lends itself to a discovery with aircon. But if it's a trip around the world maybe a 300tdi 110 would be better. Also your skill level, I would think nothing of driving my 1983 200tdi engined 110 to oz (might need a chassis swap first though) but would think twice in a puma. There is nothing wrong with doing it in a puma but I can fix the 200 but would struggle with the puma, where as a friend would take a V8 with megasquirt and a laptop.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike, basically intend to spend up to 6 months away at a time & need the space of a 110 for gear ect. As you say it would have to have aircon but I have seen a fair few with it fitted. As for skill level, done the old Landrover off road days a few times but would have to put some time in to learn & get to grips with it on the lanes.

I'm accomplished off road on two wheels riding the big KTM's off road & have done the Pyrenees several times as well as the rest of Europe.

So from what you've said & what I have read the Puma engine has pro's & cons but if I'm after a later model 07 onwards that's the only choice?

There's an 08 2.4 XS 60k on the clock fully loaded at a dealership which isn't too far from me which I might have a look at its vat qualifying which I can claim back.

What would you go for now that you know a bit more back ground?

Thanks

Jim.

I know very little about pumas, I hear mixed reports about the dash and heater/aircon I like the look but being over 6 foot I'm told it's not good on the knees. As for engines I like clockwork hence the 200tdi but the 15p TD5 is a good engine and one of the tdci's is better than the other (can't remember which) but both you will need to get to grips with diagnostics. Salisbury rear axles are stronger but rover are easier to repair in the field. TD5 chassis rot for a pastime not sure if puma got better. The spud shaft between gearbox and transfer box on pumas can have wear issues. Personally I'd probably go older and use the extra money to bring it up to purfect condition, I would consider a late TD5 with a mint or galvanized chassis and a Salisbury rear axle but aircon on this dash style is awful.

Mike