Wiring loom for v8 90

Hi all

After some wiring issues I am now fully replacing the loom on my 1986 v8 90. My chassis number starts SALLDVAV...

I have purchased a new autosparks loom via a third party which was described as the right part however now I am looking at it, it is very similar but not the same as the original one I had in the vehicle.

The label reads:

LANDROVER

51213570 DO

PRC 8243 ISSUE A

Please can anyone confirm if this will fit the vehicle without modifications required?

If it is different then what modifications might be required and how involved/advisable would this be?

On first looks the fuse box is different (for a start there is only one panel rather than 2) and it accepts blade fuses rather than glass ones - however as long as functionality is the same I would probably prefer this setup.

The binnacle connections also look slightly more numerous and possibly some additional connectors to the old one?

Any advice would be extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a 200tdi loom to me, all previous models had a 2 part fuse box with glass tubular fuses,

90 parts book page 736 in http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/90/8_body_electrical_p719-793.pdf

look under 'All Derivatives' 2nd part number below that sub block

if the connectors are rubber encased type they should match up to your switches without any problems,

rear screen wash/wipe & rear screen heater [if fitted] have their own sub loom & mini fuse block.

The connectors are the rubber encased type in the main however there are a couple of extra connections up at the binnacle end. There is an extra rubber encased bullet connector block that is white? There is also one which is a hard plastic connector with smaller bullet inputs (in pic posted below by my thumb) and a small extra grey multi plug connector. Any ideas? I can post some more pics up if required.

Also I am worried about the warning light panel, is it possible the layout of the printed circuit is different/does the 200tdi loom have any extra/less warning light circuits? Those two chunky connectors that have a slot in them are the ones in question. Are these the same wiring layout throughout the years? Specifically between 86 v8 and the 200tdi.

Cheers. What a minefield!

20140720_131937.jpg

20140720_132554.jpg

20140720_132605.jpg

20140720_132615.jpg

• Like 1

Not much if ant difference on the warning light panel layout & connections, just compare your existing panel plugs with the 'new' loom to check for any changes, if there are, then easy thing to sort is a 200tdi warning light panel to plug the 'new' loom into.

hardly any changes to wiring colour codes or duty between all the pre td5 vehicles.

Have done some research and yes it seems the warning panel layouts are indeed the same.

Any views on the 3 extra connectors up in the binnacle area of the loom?

1x hard black plastic block (group of small female bullet connectors)

1x grey block (group of female spades)

1x standard rubberised normal bullet connector block - coloured white

can you add photo's of each ?

the hard black plastic if it has 8 pin location & 2 small spade terminals sounds like the hazard lights connector.

if the grey block is rectangular with 6 pin holes but only 5 occupied it might be the dim dip unit connector.

not sure on other one, what colour wires go in it ?

Hi,

You are absolutely correct, on further research this is definitely a 200tdi wiring loom, not a V8. However as you say there seems to be enough similarity between the two that I am (perhaps bravely, perhaps naively) cracking on with it.

So to confirm we have a 200tdi loom which I am transplanting into a 1986 V8 90.

Spent today installing the new loom.

There are quite a few connections that I am unsure about and do not know what they do, whether they are even relevant now that this loom is in a V8, or whether I need to do something with them to modify things? Perhaps you can give some advice!

Also - I have also put photos below showing my stock V8 90 ignition switch, and then a picture showing the wires that I am assuming are ignition-related on the 200tdi loom. How should I wire this up/modify things to suit? I am guessing there are some glow plug related bits that I don't need on my configuration, but not sure where to start so any and all help gratefully received! I am going to post that up under another thread now, as that could well be of specific use to somebody else later.

Help on identifying all the connections in the pictures in the post below would be fantastic! Thanks in advance

Cheers

1) White coloured rubber connector?

White_connector.jpg

2) Yellow coloured relay holder box? What do I put in here/do I need to?

yellow_relay_holder.jpg

3) Small connection with green and black wires

unnamed.jpg

4) Joining block connecting lots of red wires and a red/white - do I just leave this as it is?

red.jpg

5) Another bullet connector plug?

connecto31.jpg

6) Multi spade terminal connector block?

image.jpg

7) Bullet connectors?

image.jpg

8) Bullet connector?

image.jpg

9) What else should I be connecting in to the remaining terminals?

image.jpg

Cheers Western, diagrams were a massive help. Think I'm almost there now!

For info the pictures above were the following:

1) Glow plugs connector.

2) Voltage sensitive relay

3) Piggyback connection, nothing needed to be done

4) Instrument panel illumination circuit multi-connection/piggyback

5) Trailer loom connection (if equipped)

6) Headlights related. Possibly to do with the dim/dip unit but not yet figured this out properly.

7) Interior light

8) Unknown what the specific use is, but it is a green +ve accessories circuit power line

9) Unknown what the specific use is, but it is purple and greens +ve accessories/interior lighting power lines

the white plastic rectangular plug is for the dim dip unit [if not fitted or broken] leave it disconnected, dim dip is no longer a road vehicle lighting requirement.

light green/black tace is front screen wash.

plain purple is a 12v permanent live, there should be a matching plug to fit.