200tdi cutting out randomly

Currently have a 200tdi defender motor installed in my 84’ 90, once every 100 miles or so the engine will shut off while driving as if you turned the key to the accessory position with the key remaining in the on position. The battery warning light will come on and the engine shuts off. In the past 500 miles since I have put the engine in it has occurred 6 times. All I have to do is turn the key from the on position to the accessory position back to the on position and the engine starts running again instantly without cranking as long as you are moving. It occurs in many different circumstances but in most cases it is cruising on the highway. I would assume the power to the stop solenoid is being lost and by resetting the key power is restored.

The motor has recently be put in and the fuel line, lift pump and fuel filter are all new. I have no symptoms of air getting on or hard starting. It seems as the problem is purely electrical. To strengthen this suspicion the same problem occurred with the discovery 200 I used to have in the truck which leads me to believe that it could have to do with the ignition switch. I have checked the connections which seem to be good but I was wondering if it could be internally damaged and this would cause the fault.

I have nothing on my key-chain and if I jiggle the key around it does not cause the problem.

Has anyone had this issue before?

Could there be another source for the problem or am I looking in the right place?

Can I just change the switch or should I change the whole barrel?

Thanks for the help

As stated, it does sound like the ignition switch. The contacts in them don't age well - once the contact goes bad it will generate heat, which weakens the contact-springs and oxidises the contacts, so the resistance goes up and the switch gets hotter so the springs get weaker and the contact-faces even higher-resistance and.....