Broken stepper motor body

chrispy

Hi,

just tried to remove the old stepper motor (bypass valve) and the thing snapped, the thread is still in the plenum cover and the rest is dangling at the side. Any clues as to how to get the thread out would be most welcome. Needless to say it is also loctited in place...

Cheers,

Chris

OK, panic over, managed to take the valve housing off the back of the plenum chamber and dug out the remains of the stepper motor with a combination of chisels, hammers and curses. That was some mean Loctite on there.

Needless to say despite the new stepper motor, she's still hunting on idle...

Chris

OK, panic over, managed to take the valve housing off the back of the plenum chamber and dug out the remains of the stepper motor with a combination of chisels, hammers and curses. That was some mean Loctite on there.

Needless to say despite the new stepper motor, she's still hunting on idle...

Chris

Time to play hunt the vacuum leak :(

Time to play hunt the vacuum leak :(

Found a small hole in the tube connecting the air flow meter to the throttle body / plenum, patched it using bicycle tyre repair patch. Didn't solve the problem... Less hunting now, but the old problem remains: When cold, there is a momentary drop in revs to almost stall, as soon as I touch the accelerator pedal... Though that may be normal ;-)

Cheers,

Chris

Found a small hole in the tube connecting the air flow meter to the throttle body / plenum, patched it using bicycle tyre repair patch. Didn't solve the problem... Less hunting now, but the old problem remains: When cold, there is a momentary drop in revs to almost stall, as soon as I touch the accelerator pedal... Though that may be normal ;-)

Cheers,

Chris

Nope, that's not normal - mine didn't behave like that when it had a vacuum leak, either. It hunted until you pressed the accelarator.

Nope, that's not normal - mine didn't behave like that when it had a vacuum leak, either. It hunted until you pressed the accelarator.

The hunting has all but stopped now and it only ever happened when first starting the engine, never while just sitting in traffic or at lights. The accelerator stalling thing only happens in the first couple of minutes after starting from cold...

Cheers,

Chris

The hunting has all but stopped now and it only ever happened when first starting the engine, never while just sitting in traffic or at lights. The accelerator stalling thing only happens in the first couple of minutes after starting from cold...

Cheers,

Chris

Stepper motor not opening enough when the engine's cold? What state were the valve seat and air bypass tube in? I seem to remember the plenum end was pretty cacked up on mine.

I'm only going on my very limited experience of my own vehicle though. Someone a bit more knowledgable want to venture an opinion?

Stepper motor not opening enough when the engine's cold? What state were the valve seat and air bypass tube in? I seem to remember the plenum end was pretty cacked up on mine.

I'm only going on my very limited experience of my own vehicle though. Someone a bit more knowledgable want to venture an opinion?

Hmmm, it's a brand new stepper motor (the old one was the one that snapped when I tried to take it off to give it a clean). The valve seat is clean as a whistle (carb cleaner while the piece was off the back of the plenum) as are the two tubes connecting to it (main one to the throttle and the tiny one), all are in great condition....

Might have to take this to a new topic...

Thanks for your help though.

Chris