Glow Plug wiring

JST

I have found and read thread from Ralph in the tech archive but have a couple of questions:

1. white wire - its says to any vehicle loom white wire, is this there for a 12v when the iginition is on? ie coudl you wire it into the fuel solenoid cut off?

2. thick red and white to the ignition - where on the ignition does this goto? or again is it just a 12V +ve when the ignition is on? i doubt it, i think it need to go to one of the 4(5?) wires on the back of the ignition switch but none of them on mine are white and red... so which one?

thank you for any help

Guest diesel_jim

This page may help, from Mr Wuffles

The cable PRC 6083 has a plug which connects to the glowplug timer and a yellow/black cable which goes to the screw on glow plug number 4. the thick brown cable goes to the battery +. Cable STC 934 plugs into PRC 6083 and the black/white wire screws to the bulkhead. At the other end of it the white/red cable goes to the white/red on the back of the igniton and the connector with both the whites goes to the white on the the ignition, they both have piggyback connectors. The yellow/black wire goes to the spade on the bottom of the orange looking square light on the warning panel and the other white goes to the top spade.

I have found and read thread from Ralph in the tech archive but have a couple of questions:

1. white wire - its says to any vehicle loom white wire, is this there for a 12v when the iginition is on? ie coudl you wire it into the fuel solenoid cut off?

2. thick red and white to the ignition - where on the ignition does this goto? or again is it just a 12V +ve when the ignition is on? i doubt it, i think it need to go to one of the 4(5?) wires on the back of the ignition switch but none of them on mine are white and red... so which one?

thank you for any help

1. piggyback spade connector off the back of the ignition switch any of the white wires will do, these are all ignition controlled live feeds

2. thick brown/red is the old TD glowplug feed, just disconnect both ends [glowplug & ignition switch] & tape up so it can't shortout on anything

the white to ignition switch as per 1. above

yellow/black to glow plug warning light & black to earth connection,

somewhere in the tech archive &/or Defender forum is a diagram of the ign switch connections for a ex-TD engined vehicle to 200Tdi connections. I did it a few months back.

this may help too ignition switch connections & more here :D

Cheers guys i will take another look

so in short

white wire to any white on the back of the ignition

remove red/brown wire from ignition (old TD wiring feed) and replace with white/red wire off timer relay- which should be onto terminal 4 - glow plug feed on position 3

all the other wires i am happy with.

Cheers again

Well its all sorted now, in the end i used the position 3 red and brown wire as the feed to the timer, ie just connected the end that used to go onto the TD no.4 glow plug to the red and white wire and it all works a treat

aside from the wng bulb light, it appears that i get nothing out of the timer relay onto the yellow and black wire, it needs 12v to light the bulb and theres nothing! although the rest works, ie 12v from new glow plug wire for the time the relay is working.

could i take a feed back from the no 4 glow plug and get that the power the bulb?