TD5 Engine Hunting

therealboss

Hi

After the engine rebuild and turbo replacement I have a small problem, the engine starts and runs well apart from under heavy load. When the engine is under heavy load, like putting my foot down to overtake, I can feel it hunting. I think it might be the waste gate opening and closing all the time, if I lift my right foot a little, all is well but it then take ages to get up to an overtaking speed. My Disco is a 2001 TD5 with Auto Box, if I put my foot down, it will kick down but the hunting is very bad and I have to lift off again and then it changes up again.

I thought it might be the MAS so I checked it and one of the elements was burnt out so I bought a new sensor. The sensor arrived today and i fitted it but still have the same problem.

History so far...

About a month ago my Disco was running very well without any problems until the bolt on the oil pump packed in. I was lucky that it happened at very low speed and after striping the engine I got away with only having to replace all the shells, and the turbo. So its had a new Turbo (the correct one), Big End Shells, Main Bearings and it the same time we replaced the Air Filter, both Oil Filters and the fuel filter. Its now had a new MAS (old one was knackered oil on the sensor wire) and a new injector harness (76,000 miles thought it was time to replace it).

When the MAS packs in, do I need to get the error codes reset before the engine will run right? or do I have something else wrong?

I'm open to any advice..

Thanks

Hi

After the engine rebuild and turbo replacement I have a small problem, the engine starts and runs well apart from under heavy load. When the engine is under heavy load, like putting my foot down to overtake, I can feel it hunting. I think it might be the waste gate opening and closing all the time, if I lift my right foot a little, all is well but it then take ages to get up to an overtaking speed. My Disco is a 2001 TD5 with Auto Box, if I put my foot down, it will kick down but the hunting is very bad and I have to lift off again and then it changes up again.

I thought it might be the MAS so I checked it and one of the elements was burnt out so I bought a new sensor. The sensor arrived today and i fitted it but still have the same problem.

History so far...

About a month ago my Disco was running very well without any problems until the bolt on the oil pump packed in. I was lucky that it happened at very low speed and after striping the engine I got away with only having to replace all the shells, and the turbo. So its had a new Turbo (the correct one), Big End Shells, Main Bearings and it the same time we replaced the Air Filter, both Oil Filters and the fuel filter. Its now had a new MAS (old one was knackered oil on the sensor wire) and a new injector harness (76,000 miles thought it was time to replace it).

When the MAS packs in, do I need to get the error codes reset before the engine will run right? or do I have something else wrong?

I'm open to any advice..

Thanks

I'd be starting at an inlet air leak.

Classic TD5 overboost symptoms,either wastegate stuck shut or not being operated due to pipes falling off or actuator solenoid failing.

I have checked all pipes, MAS and fuses, I will see if I can get a meter attached to record the boost tomorrow.

Will keep you updated, I'm still open to any other suggestions...

Thanks

Classic TD5 overboost symptoms,either wastegate stuck shut or not being operated due to pipes falling off or actuator solenoid failing.

You hit the nail on the head!!!!

The pipe that comes from the actuator solenoid to the steel pipe from the intercooler had snapped off, just pushed it back on and secured it and BOIGO!!!!

Thanks again for all the suggestions, thats what I like about Landrovers, everyone that has one is willing to offer advice and help.

That's another problem solved with the help of the Internet, you never know, this Internet thing might catch on.. :P

Thanks again....