Coolant disappearing, 5ltrs over the past 2 weeks…..

Toastfrenzy

I have a standard Auto 2001(X) TD5 ES Series II with 85K on the clock, checked the coolant level last week and found the header tank empty. Filled it up (2ltrs) and checked it again Friday (yesterday 4th) and it was empty again. This time it took 3 ltrs to fill up :o .

I've had the system pressure tested, confirms there is a leak :( ......but where, there are no visible leaks or water stains. No sludge in the engine oil (the eng oil level has stayed at the same level throughout).

I did find grey oily\water (last night) that looked like it was seeping from around the back edge of the gearbox sump (I think), but a friend said this could be the Air Con drain. There is a plastic tube hanging around in that area (with a U bend at the end.....

The car runs fine and I am still getting 520+miles to a brimmed tank :) .

Has anyone an idea as to where the coolant is going or where\what to check :blink: ?

Oh dear, it is better to see the leak. The chances are your head is cracked - normally at no 1 cylinder. The coolant evaporates in the exhaust so you won't see it. We had the last head welded as they reckon it is a common problem and they assure us they have fixed lots of them with no comeback. However, that is here in the 3rd world. In the UK you will most likely have to fit a new head. Try Turner Engineering for good deals on new heads.

Before you completely panic, it could be a blown head gasket, but you should get the head pressure tested as well.