4 PIN DIFF'S

muddydisco

I hear that the 4 pin diff centre out of a discovery 2 or p38 will fit into a discovery 1 24 spline casing and the shafts will fit. What mods will be needed to make this happen

cheers muddydisco

I'm not quite sure what work needs to be done to fit them but its only the rear diffs in 4.6 P38's that are 4-pin asfar as I'm aware. No 4-pins fitted in Disco 2's as standard.

I hear that the 4 pin diff centre out of a discovery 2 or p38 will fit into a discovery 1 24 spline casing and the shafts will fit. What mods will be needed to make this happen

cheers muddydisco

part of the discovery 1 diff casing needs to be ground away, its not alot, just enough for the larger centre to clear the casting. and i agree with the above....they were only fitted to p38 rear axles. and v8 90s. im not 100% sure but i think 2000 onwards 110s were fitted with them instead of the salisbury.

part of the discovery 1 diff casing needs to be ground away, its not alot, just enough for the larger centre to clear the casting. and i agree with the above....they were only fitted to p38 rear axles. and v8 90s. im not 100% sure but i think 2000 onwards 110s were fitted with them instead of the salisbury.

So can you use the entire P38 diff in a Disco one axle case?

As opposed to just fitting the 4-pin centre in a classic/disco 1 diff housing.

Yes, ignore me. I though for some strange reason you wrote the axle case needed to be ground away & I was wondering why!

Is it just part of the case that needs grinding or is it a bit more involved to fit a 4-pin?

and set up the backlash on the cwp. its about 2 or 3 mm that needs grinding away, u'l soon see when you try to fit it.

Hi,

the P38 / late 110 rear 4 pin diff will bolt straight into the rover diff housing if you use a different ring and pinion, you need TBH100050,

this is the same as the normal FTC781/TBH100040 but has a thinner crown wheel to allow for the different crown wheel offset,