Pneumatic fittings on ARB lockers

clbarclay

I'm about to plumb in an ARB and sort out an onboard air setup. For a few reasons I'm planning on using common 6mm pneumatic tube and fittings for the ARB istead of the standard valves, 5mm tube and bulkhead fitting, but wasn't sure what was required to connect the 6mm tube to the ARB locker. I had search on here but the closest answer was to tap the existing fitting to BSP.

I've just come across this thread on Pirate 4x4 which has a lot of useful information on the subject including all the thread sizes. I do appologises if this thread and information was already well known.

I'm about to plumb in an ARB and sort out an onboard air setup. For a few reasons I'm planning on using common 6mm pneumatic tube and fittings for the ARB istead of the standard valves, 5mm tube and bulkhead fitting, but wasn't sure what was required to connect the 6mm tube to the ARB locker. I had search on here but the closest answer was to tap the existing fitting to BSP.

I've just come across this thread on Pirate 4x4 which has a lot of useful information on the subject including all the thread sizes. I do appologises if this thread and information was already well known.

On my rover diffs, the ARBs had 3/16" tube, and the fitting on the diff housing had an internal 3/8-24 parallel thread. The only source I could find in the UK was as ARB spares, but they were easy to source in the US.

i jused the arb heavy duty airline to connect to the diff and then went 6 mm from there.

http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p191c12...y-air-line.html

they are quite expensive for what they are but good idea to get rid of the plastic hose near the axle imho anyhow - i snapped that various times

the other side of the arb heavy duty airline will accept a standard 6mm connector

The problem with arbs heavy duty airline is that if anything gets up in there and pulls on the pipe it is likely to rip the bulkhead fitting out of the diff casing, to repair this neds an axle strip down. Now while i appreciate that the push fittings arent ideal, the simplest and easiest solution to them is to fit a straight push fit connector in the airline about 6 - 8 inches from the diff housing, if anything gets caught up in the pipe it will pull this straight connection apart, so long as youve got some spare push fit connectors it takes about 30 seconds to repair and youve got a locker to use for the rest of the day!!!!!!!

James

The problem with arbs heavy duty airline is that if anything gets up in there and pulls on the pipe it is likely to rip the bulkhead fitting out of the diff casing, to repair this neds an axle strip down. Now while i appreciate that the push fittings arent ideal, the simplest and easiest solution to them is to fit a straight push fit connector in the airline about 6 - 8 inches from the diff housing, if anything gets caught up in the pipe it will pull this straight connection apart, so long as youve got some spare push fit connectors it takes about 30 seconds to repair and youve got a locker to use for the rest of the day!!!!!!!

James

i've routed mine so that the chances of something getting caught are very low. rear, directly to a frame, front not straight up but sidewards on top of axle and then on top of trailing arm. has worked well.