Death wobble - bush-blamed, but do I have the right panhard rod ?

lansalot

Got a major case of the death wobble on the Defender 90. Though I think the term "death wobble" really understates the problem. When I say bad wobble, I mean - "get to about 30mph, and then fight steering for your life while wheel is almost wrenched out of your hands, and passenger whose head is sticking out the window says the tyre keeps coming out from under the bodywork." A vibration of an unbalanced tyre or a shot prop, this certainly wasn't !!

Anyways, back home safely and with passenger wobbling the wheel, I took a few shots of the offending item. See for yourself just how bad the bushes were. OK, clearly I need a new bush, that's a given. Will take the bar off tomorrow night and go from there.

And now on to the question:

The panhard rod end is about 34mm wide, yet the mount space on the vehicle is 43mm. Given that this thing is a bit of a hybrid, and given that sitting next to it is a range rover whose rod takes the almost-full space up, I'm wondering if this is the right rod ? Any ideas ? If it helps, it would appear the inside diameter of the rod end is around 27mm

Thanks

Video of tragic bush here, for your edutainment:

(Thanks to all the forum-folks in the archives for pointing me in this direction, it's almost certainly something I wouldn't have considered.)

Using my degree in stating the obvious (trained by SWMBO) - that is well and truely shot! I would replace both bushes while the panhard rod is off, and check the condition of the bolts.

It would appear that the panhard rod bush is common to all age Defenders (ANR3410). If the vehicle is a bit of a hybrid, it is worth extracting the old bushes and taking them with you when buying new (assuming you have a local supplier), just to be sure.

Using my degree in stating the obvious (trained by SWMBO) - that is well and truely shot! I would replace both bushes while the panhard rod is off, and check the condition of the bolts.

It would appear that the panhard rod bush is common to all age Defenders (ANR3410). If the vehicle is a bit of a hybrid, it is worth extracting the old bushes and taking them with you when buying new (assuming you have a local supplier), just to be sure.

The bolts are 14mm, which is only used widely on cars, so check someone hasn't bodged a 12mm, 1/2 inch or 9/16 Whit one in!

It's a 14mm bolt alright. However, it turns out the axle is pre-86 range rover classic, so I'm guessing a rod from same was used. Hmmm...

Superpro offered me a custom bush, so might take them up on that one. Assuming I can get the axle-rod end off, why do they have to put the nut in such a stupid position?? argh !