Spring help. Bit stuck and need some info.

my rear airlift has broken so i'm in the dealer in mbeya, tanzania...

I want to either fixt the airlift which is possible or fit rear helpers to my 110. I prefer the helpers.

I have red red on the rear both side. These should really be red green for the standard inner helper setup. Question is whats the diff between red red and red green. i think it will work fine but i cannot get to the spring table to just satisfy myself it will be fine. Can't see why it won't.

Comment welcomed. I'm doing this from the dealer on my phone so bear with me.

thanks thats what i needed to know. I'm running just under 3000kg and its even between front and rear iirc. I can't find my figures for the exact front rear split. What i do know is without the helpers the rear is low.

so i'm 216 quid lighter and have a newish set of helper springs and mounts. The garage nicked em off a puma with 25,000km on the clock with a broke engine. At the same time my anti roll bar uj's were noted to be in bad shape. We made some new rubber bushes from my spare suspension rubbers using a dremmel and grinder.to shape them and fitted new gaitors and grease. Good as new....

• 2 weeks later...

met a overland rental company that run defenders, discos and series for cape town to nairobi. Seems all airlift 1000 kits fitted to defenders fail the same way. They fit them to all their cars and they all fail the same. The discos last ages but the defenders last no time just like mine. So there you have it. Steer clear of them. O saw 3 of his cars all failing the same way as mine. He replaces the moints with machines aluminium as i was going to do but i couldn't find ali in the right size in tanzania. Airlift are oficially rubbish, period.

Now you tell me Neil, I brought some on your recommendations!!! I guess I need to either write to Airlift and get some replacement tops or get some machined.

Jason.

all i can do is apologise. Obviously driving around here takes its toll on the top mounts. Making some from wood or ali was my choice. The bags were fine. I ran mine at 20 and 25psi and the guy here at 15 and the tops all went exactly the same way. Theres some photos if you want them and i think some on my blog. He dis say the discos never go, only defenders and he's running loads of cars' even series. He did say if a bag goes you cannot fix it so i gave him mine. Face the ali with rubber to protect the bag and they last ages he says.ali bar in the diameter needed will be expensive so i'd contact airlif for their lifetime warantee, and see what they say.

• 1 month later...

I can now confirm after doing a bit of Google and mainly just so Jason can rest easy. Airlift have redesigned the top mounts

http://www.airsprings.cc/4x4/Airlift/AL1000/LAN02.MN285.738.pdf

take a look. They have now included a steel ring to stop the problem we all seemed to have. I would have thought theres a good case to give them a call and get some. However since these are also a Britpart item should you go to Britpart ???

My bags were donated to some passing mechanic with a fleet of Defenders so i won;t be making a claim for new mounts.

Sorry about this Jason but at least theres now a fix. They did work great when they weren't broken !!!

Cheers Neil,

Thanks for finding that I have the older version well mine are 9 months old now, and have just fitted another set to someone's truck a couple of weeks ago that were the same so I guess Britpart have lots of the old design on the shelf, I bet it will be a case that they will want them to fail first, however given that yours went a few miles into your trip I will take the risk for now.

Glad you are having a good trip, I am surprised you didn't just get the 1/2 shafts welded to stop the clunk that's the bush mechanics way of fixing them!! Glad Matilda and dash are doing well and you are still enjoying things.

Jason.

• 2 months later...

Let us know how you get on and please if needed quote what I have said. They actually owe me for a new set but i'm not about to carry carp around with me for the rest of the trip to make the claim. Lets see how good the american customer service is. Yours lasted about the same as mine all told. (Again Sorry :blush: )

That would be exaclty how they all fail (accrding to the guy that runs the rentals) and as mine did. Also exactly whay they redesigned the mount. So you're on a winner. They do have a lifetime guarantee so they should sort it. The Britpart thing also messes it up but they also offer a lifetime guarantee do they not on ALL products??

Regards from the end of a continent. (At least we will be in a few days. One continent completed and a few to go !)

Cheers Neil we will have to see what they say.

Surely you have finished two continents now, Europe and Africa!! I'm still reading your blog with great envy,

Best regards to the four of you.

Jason.

Just received a classic email from them telling me I fitted it incorrectly as the protector was above the spring mount!! Oh and apparently they have not modified the kit. I sent him the link back that Neil posted above and pointed out that it's like that because it's split.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I now have some clarification and understanding around these things, the PDF that Neil originally attached was from Gremeltech, it was there response to an issue with the Airlift 1000 Gremeltech charge 960 rand for the modified kit plus shipping to the UK however they recommend that I didn't buy the kit from them and just welded the bar across the rear turrets.

The response from Gremeltech has been great and considering that they didn't sell me the kit in the first place, and didn't even want to sell me the modified kit, they were very quick in responding and helping me out.

After a bit of back and forth via email with Airlift, they have despatched a new set of spacers to me via Fedex which should be with me later in the week.

So it looks like I will have to weld the bars onto the turrets when I get the replacement spacers although I may look to see if there is another way of stopping the spacer coming through the turret first.

Jason.

GRA61724C0.Rear Land Rover Defender 110 All .pdf