TD5 Engine removal/swap

So the news is not good, the injector seals have been changed but alas to no avail, oil level rising and engine hot after a 20 min run.

After a long discussion around the pros and cons of just changing the head I am coming down on the side of buying a low mileage engine out of a written off truck, with a FLRSH the reasoning behind this that I believe I am also close to needing a new clutch so it's going to be a gearbox/engine out anyway so going to go for it. And the costs come out about the same.

So the questions are:

Anyone got a decent removal/fitting guide?

Do I need any special tools ? (Will have the use of a rovercomm to do the injector codes)

Should I consider doing anything else whilst doing the job?

Cheers Jason

You could be buying the same problem. Turners heads a made to avoid this fault.

I know the heads are good but heard of issues with the engine afterwards, also as I need a clutch change soon so thought I should go for an engine change.

Jason

So the deal has been done and I now have a replacement engine, found a good guide on how to do the job which is fairly straight forward,

Drain everything

unplug everything

unbolt everything

remove engine

Reverse order to refit!!

Simple!!

Jason.

With nothing else to do this afternoon and after reading the LR guide to engine removal a couple of times it was time to start striping the old engine and start to prep for the arrival of the new one, the plan is to strip it down as far as the gearbox bolts and the engine mounts as I am borrowing an engine crane so until I collect it I can't go any further.

I emptied the oil and the water and removed the under-tray and then began to remove the air system and the plumbing, then it was turbo removal time, I am not striping the engine but this needs to be done so that it will not foul the front as I withdraw the engine. Boy was that fun!! the bolts were solid I couldn't get any purchase on them but eventually they moved, I think the swearing helped.. and that side is now clear.

Fan and rads out tomorrow if the weather holds ready for the engine removal bit.

wp000225d.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jason.

Lol, freaked me out a bit seeing the aircon compressor just floating there in the air! :) Did you have a ghost to help?

No just a big tie wrap!! The LR manual says that's how to do it!! Following the book for this one as it's my first TD5 engine swap, next time I will wing it!!

Jason.