The Plain today

sgnas

The first time in a year I've been up.

Was baby sitting our nine month old daughter and thought it was time she was introduced to off roading.

So went up to walk the dogs for an hour and then drive Marlboruogh Road and the lane out towards the ranges (the one by the river that always floods nicely but has a good solid gravel base) but the red flags were flying :( and I couldn't go further west as nap time was approaching.

Well at least the CAT1's and the lanes in and out of Shipton Bellinger did not phase her so future trips should have a thumbs up :i-m_so_happy:

The first time in a year I've been up.

Was baby sitting our nine month old daughter and thought it was time she was introduced to off roading.

So went up to walk the dogs for an hour and then drive Marlboruogh Road and the lane out towards the ranges (the one by the river that always floods nicely but has a good solid gravel base) but the red flags were flying :( and I couldn't go further west as nap time was approaching.

Well at least the CAT1's and the lanes in and out of Shipton Bellinger did not phase her so future trips should have a thumbs up :i-m_so_happy:

Larkhill ranges would have been closed too. :( Someone posted a phone number to get recorded info somwhere...

Chris

It was pretty busy.

While I parked up got passed by 2 XD's

Out of the car 2mins, passed by 6 APC's with an XD at head of convoy

Around the hour long walk

2 "fighter" jets circling

1 "civilian" jet circling

3 or 4 Helicopters

One of those big 4 axle drop carriers

another 4 XD's

The Range Warden ( I was hoping he would take the flags down! )

and lots of big booms offf to the northwest.

I've seen it busier, but not bad for an hour!

• 2 weeks later...
It was pretty busy.

While I parked up got passed by 2 XD's

Out of the car 2mins, passed by 6 APC's with an XD at head of convoy

Around the hour long walk

2 "fighter" jets circling

1 "civilian" jet circling

3 or 4 Helicopters

One of those big 4 axle drop carriers

another 4 XD's

The Range Warden ( I was hoping he would take the flags down! )

and lots of big booms offf to the northwest.

I've seen it busier, but not bad for an hour!

Two big exercises running at the moment. Druid's Dance I believe is still running (although the shrimp are attempting to put the kybosh on that one).

Click on ---> http://members.lycos.co.uk/pjboomer/SPTA/spta.html the contact details for the 'range' should still be current and give them a call next time ;)

Or the official site (which I have now re-found...) ---> http://www.army.mod.uk/ate/public/salisplain.htm

Paul

Guest diesel_jim

Here in Swindon there are heaps of oshcosh trucks buzzing up and down the A419 with various bits of armour on theback (AS90, challenger 2 etc) so "something" is going on.

strange this late in the year, usually most units are stood down for Christmas leave by now.

I'll be up there this weekend if anyones around? i'm on call but should be able to slope off for a few hours!

Here in Swindon there are heaps of oshcosh trucks buzzing up and down the A419 with various bits of armour on theback (AS90, challenger 2 etc) so "something" is going on.

strange this late in the year, usually most units are stood down for Christmas leave by now.

I'll be up there this weekend if anyones around? i'm on call but should be able to slope off for a few hours!

Flags are down this Sunday AFAIK, then back up till next weekend - right before Christmas. Then is is all quiet until new year with Imber open. I have to go and recce the treasure hunt next weekend. :)

Chris