Steering Column Mounting Bolts

OK - here's my latest head-scratcher! On attempting to fit my newly rebuilt steering column (had to make my own lower bearing), I've just discovered that Land Rover, in their wisdom, neglected to fit the riv-nuts that secure the column's mounting bolts... This is a brand new item - my old one has 8 mm nuts under all the rust, but there's nothing but fresh air in the new one. So - as I can't stand riv-nuts (because they're not a proper engineering solution in my book), and as there's no access to the void whatsoever for a captive plate, I'm currently considering making up some threaded tubes to go in place (from the front) with the appropriate holes drilled such that the column is bolted through the entire bulkhead from behind the steering wheel. The bolts in question are arrowed in the photo nicked from Western (I hope that's OK with you, Good Sir!) from one of his previous threads.

My question therefore, is whether there's anything behind the steering wheel that I might have neglected to consider - as ever, any help would be mightily appreciated!

Steering Column Mounting Bolts_2.jpg

• Like 1