wheel size

pfwilko

Hi 

I would like to have a second set of wheels for my D4. I spend quite a bit of time off road during the winter, not extreme, but sometimes challenging, when I take my gundogs out to work. I am currently on 255 55 19 and am looking at 16 or 17's with a 70 profile so that I don't upset or confuse the cars settings. Do the smaller wheels off some earlier discos fit the hubs on the D4's and is there anyone out there who has done anything similar who can advise.

I tried to fit Disco2 steel wheels, thinking they wouldoffer the most clearance as the material is thinner than alloys. Interference on the screw for the lower swivel ball joint. Ground down the screw to the surface of the nut, still interference.

Bought 30mm spacers for a D2 and turned out the centre hole, as D3/4 has a larger diameter hub, interference on the front brake caliper. Ground the caliper as much as I dared, still interference, now only marginal. 

This was on a 2005 TDV6 HSE D3. I believe the V8 and perhaps later might have even bigger brakes?

In short, 16 is impossible/needs a major reengineering.

HTH

Tobias