1986 110 swivel housing

I have a broken halfshaft that will not come out of the diff.

Can anyone tell me if the swivel housing can be taken off with the halfshaft still on ?

I have found a collar on the halfshaft end and do not think the swivel housing can be removed with the halfshaft still in the diff just want to be sure. :blush:

I think I'm looking at an axle removeal to get the halfshaft out unless someone knows a better way, please let me know if there is a better way.

If you say the break is on the half shaft and not the CV then you can remove the whole swivel/steering assembly of the end of the axle by removing the 7 12 pointed bolts. Then using a magnet etc remove the broken half shaft.

I guess you will need to split the swivel to sort out the other end of the half shaft as they're normally a tight fit into the CV.

Steve

Yes I have stripped down to axle tube end but I do not think the swivel housing will come over the halfshaft. Don't know why the halfshaft won't come out but it may have twisted at the diff end. Seen that before and had a wail of a time getting that one out. It's just i was wondering about the swivel coming off with the shaft still in.

We might need a picture as I'm confused.

You say you've stripped the end down to the axle tube and then you say you don't think the swivel housing will go over the half shaft. 

So you still have a bit of halfshaft in the diff and in the swivel housing assembly. If you split the swivel housing assmebly by tacking the swivel seal retainer off, the swivel seal and the two swivel bearings you will be able to access the CV/half shaft and both will slide out. Of course you will need to take the circlip off the drive flange end under the rubber cap!

Steve

The swivel does not come over the half shaft. Shaft needs to be removed to let swivel be removed.

What is the best method of removing broken half shafts any I have needed to do all have been well stuck.

I will tell you how I got them out if you want me to but only on request. :lol: