Cruise control on a modified defender td5

I Have a TD5 Defender with a disco2 auto box, so I am running a disco ecu and disco auto box cu. I would like to get the cruise control working, anyone our there done that?

Another one for the gearbox fundis, can I re program the gearbox shift points in the gearbox cu? (is a Bosch unit) 

If the wiring is still in the loom, the cruise control should be configurable. 

CRUISE.jpg.0582e8a9c87cfb1b9e12d5ffad11a5a5.jpg

It gets slightly more complicated if you've gone back to 1.4 transfer case ratio.... (Defender standards) 

If 1.4 the pulse rates will be wrong....  This can be sorted in a couple of ways... Speedohealer wired in line from the speedo to ECU to drop the speedo to ECU pulse rates, or new map with the parameters changed... (Assumes programmable ECU)

Gear change points on the Land Rover units are not changeable. There are different gearbox ECU's for V8 & TD5 variants. The V8 changes down easier and revs more in line with torque & power of petrol versus Diesel.

If you want total control you really need to look at Compushift and replace the Land Rover Gearbox loom / ECU.

5 minutes ago, V8 Freak said:

If the wiring is still in the loom, the cruise control should be configurable. 

It gets slightly more complicated if you've gone back to 1.4 transfer case ratio.... (Defender standards)

Gear change points on the Land Rover units are not changeable. There are different gearbox ECU's for V8 & TD5 variants. The V8 changes down easier and revs more in line with torque & power of petrol versus Diesel.

If you want total control you really need to look at Compushift and replace the Land Rover Gearbox loom / ECU.

thanks v8 freak, i,m running the disco 1.2 transfer case. i cant seem to find defender wiring diagrams which have cruise control in them ,it seems defenders didnt come out with cc?.

the reason i want to change my shift points is because she only changes around 2500, and this kills me on a cold turbo engine. i change my VWtd5 at1800 when cold , then run around the 2300 revs (120kmh)the rest of the day ,and to prove my point i have 440,000kms on the clock ,original turbo ! my son had 2 turbos in his vito ,he drove at normal revs when cold !! i believe one should let the oil warm up so it can flow into the minute gaps we have on an engine.

something i forgot to mention,(as the compushift is so darned expensive at our exchange rate ) i was thinking along the lines of making a new chopper wheel with 20%more blades ,hopefully to fool the computer into thinking its going faster than it really is ,your thoughts on this? 

2 hours ago, peter jackson said:

thanks v8 freak, i,m running the disco 1.2 transfer case. i cant seem to find defender wiring diagrams which have cruise control in them ,it seems defenders didnt come out with cc?.

I don't think any Defenders had the wiring as standard. If you are using the Disco loom, are you using the Disco clocks as well? I ask because the Disco pulse rate is double the Defender one from the transfer box sender.....

The ECU is fed it's information from the clocks...... So you need to know what you've got to stand any chance of getting the Cruise to work... 

I don't know what blades you are talking about to answer the last part....

Regards the gear changes, they are set high on a Discovery because they used a small Torque Converter with high stall point. (2750 RPM) This was needed because the D2 is a 2.5 tonne beast and the engine needed to be in peak power points to move it forward effectively when needed.

A good TD5 engine in good order, regular oil an filter changes and the correct oil will last well.... Mine is on 160k Miles already and still going strong.

The blades are on the chopper wheel for the speed sensor (looks like a windmill),each blade triggers a pulse to the gearbox cu ,the more pulses per second  the faster the vehicle is going, so by making more blades the computer thinks the vehicle is going faster than it really is, so changes earlier. What do you think? 

If you can get 20% more blades in there, balanced and triggering the sensor it might work...  

Do you know which parts are D2 and which are Defender?

Sounds like engine & gearbox loom is D2... Main vehicle loom TD5?

If you have a look at the black plug on the Engine ECU and see if the Cruise wires are in there already?

It'll still be a case of finding where they pop out at the other end if they do... In a D2 they are are routed to the binnacle / steering column....

• Like 1

Checked the plug and those pin points are empty because I'm using the defender harness. I have spare pins, so I can pop them in and run wires up to the steering column. Going to a couple of scrap yards today to look for a stalk type switch which I'll mount behind the wipers stalk. On the gearbox subject I have found many "pulse modulators " ,one I like is made by Dakota Digital, made to adjust pulses to speedometer if you've changed ratios or tire size and also for gearbox situations like mine. Try googling them, I think you will find their products very interesting. I have used a couple of their products on my street rod,like fan controller which is fully programmable for temp,run on after ignition off if you want etc. Ignition curve control during supercharger boost to prevent detonation. 

Cruise control works  !.many thanks v8 freak for your help 😊👍👍🇿🇦 I would never have been able to get it working without the pinout you sent.

I used a rocker switch for on/off and a spring return self centering on/off/on toggle switch mounted in the bracket hole below the wipers stalk, made an arm from a piece of hydraulic tubing and shaped a matching knob from a piece of plastic, will send a pic later. 

• Like 2