Double trouble Cardon joint

John H67

Hi Folks. UJs in double cardon joint desperately need replacing. The flange nuts/bolts amazingly tight. 7 now slacked off, the last (at transfer box end) is going to round off the nut corners 😕. 

Head sizes appear to be imperial, with 3/8 thread diameter. 

New bolt kits readily available but appear to be 10mm so new nuts for old swap won’t work. 

How do the existing bolts come out  with that big circlip behind the bolt heads? Can anyone offer advice please?  

I’m tempted to cut off the heads with an angle grinder and fit new bolts with their nuts facing transfer box. Do you see a problem with that?

The bolts are 3/8 UNF, 9/16 spanner IIRC. You could get some 3/8 UNF nuts easily enough, dealers will still sell them as all the prop nuts and bolts are still UNF - not really sure why. NZ606041L appears to be the part number. See here https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-TN3209

I am pretty sure you have to take the flange off to change the bolts if they won't come out, slight problem if the prop is still on there! You could fit them the other way around as you suggest, I have never had to do it but as long as it has a nyloc nut on it I don't think there is a fundamental problem doing that.

13 hours ago, John H67 said:

Hi Folks. UJs in double cardon joint desperately need replacing. The flange nuts/bolts amazingly tight. 7 now slacked off, the last (at transfer box end) is going to round off the nut corners 😕. 

Head sizes appear to be imperial, with 3/8 thread diameter. 

New bolt kits readily available but appear to be 10mm so new nuts for old swap won’t work. 

How do the existing bolts come out  with that big circlip behind the bolt heads? Can anyone offer advice please?  

I’m tempted to cut off the heads with an angle grinder and fit new bolts with their nuts facing transfer box. Do you see a problem with that?

Thanks for quick response. You confirm my thoughts so I’ll get new nuts and bolts and use where necessary.