NAS bumper step & Crossmember

Afternoon all,

For the first time since having my 2015 90 from new I have removed the NAS rear bumper step in order to give the rear crossmember a good clean and waxoyl. Upon removing the bumper step I have found that Land Rover have tightened the step up so tight the corners of the crossmember have been crushed/dented slightly. Any idea if and how I could remove the damage in each side without taking the crossmember off?

The 1st of the 2 photos shows the gap between the washer and bolt head  

The second photo shows the bend on the crossmember looking up from the left rear mud flap area

289203CA-8550-4714-82D5-1A92D9841097.thumb.jpeg.3902d44dd4b5bf3d535d63e8b7f13327.jpeg03E2B1AD-D9FC-4AF2-8370-F99BC0E76E6D.thumb.jpeg.11fc1223685ad72d189cbfeacac395d9.jpeg

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

With the NAS step there should be an insert for the chassis comprising of 2 pipes welded to a piece of plate, theses are the anti crush tubes, these are to stop the bolts causing the issues you have.

check to see if the anti crush tubes are still there, possible the bolts have been removed and the tubes have dropped.

you wont be able to remove the crossmember, however you may be able to put a drift in from the rear and tap the face flat

Crush tubes.:

DEFENDER2.NET - View topic - NAS rear step - fixing bolts

Regards

Gren.

On 5/6/2020 at 11:17 AM, Gren_T said:

Hi Matt,

With the NAS step there should be an insert for the chassis comprising of 2 pipes welded to a piece of plate, theses are the anti crush tubes, these are to stop the bolts causing the issues you have.

check to see if the anti crush tubes are still there, possible the bolts have been removed and the tubes have dropped.

you wont be able to remove the crossmember, however you may be able to put a drift in from the rear and tap the face flat

Crush tubes.:

DEFENDER2.NET - View topic - NAS rear step - fixing bolts

Regards

Gren.

Thanks for the reply Gren. The crush tubes are still there strangely. I’ll have a go at tapping it back flat. 👍🏼

Cheers,

Matt