clutch gone already!!!!

cotleigh crasher

I've just got my disco 2 back from the main dealer. It went in to have gear changing problems sorted (under warranty, thankfully!). It was crashing gears, particularly 1st-2nd & 2nd-3rd. This is the second time its been in for the same problem. The first time they changed the input shaft bearing and 'lubricated' the clutch'(???) That didn't cure it so this time they renewed the complete clutch assembly......problem solved, the clutch now bites in the right place (not 1/2 inch off the floor as previously) and the gear change is slick & quiet.

My concern is that the truck has only done 26,000 miles. Is this a common problem and is it likely to happen again?

The nice man at the dealership said the clutch had worn unevenly but when I asked him to explain why he seemed to change the subject very quickly! Mmmmm.

Its under warranty till August so I guess I'll just keep a close eye on it till then.

On the subject of warranties, when I bought the truck I asked whether having it 'chipped' would invalidate the warranty, the salesman said quite categorically 'no'.

I have since learned that LR will not honour any engine claims if it is proved that the vehicle has been chipped. As far as I can make out, the emphasis is on the word 'proved', so I suppose if the engine goes bang the secret is to get it unchipped before taking it back.

just thought I'd share that bit of info, might just save someone a lot of hassle.

i have heard of low milage problems with D2 clutches, although the ones ive heard were 'unevenly worn flywheels'. funny that the bloke they told that checked the flywheel himself & it was well within tollerance. a new clutch cured that one too, maybe there was a fault in the factory clutches on a few batches?

On the subject of warranties, when I bought the truck I asked whether having it 'chipped' would invalidate the warranty, the salesman said quite categorically 'no'.

Well, with a big fat bonus hanging in the balance I expect he would have said that it could fly if you wanted it to... :blink:

Sorry - for some reason I am a bit cynical about car salesmen... ;)

Rog

i have heard of low milage problems with D2 clutches, although the ones ive heard were 'unevenly worn flywheels'. funny that the bloke they told that checked the flywheel himself & it was well within tollerance. a new clutch cured that one too, maybe there was a fault in the factory clutches on a few batches?

Thanks for that. It makes me feel a bit more confident that I'm not alone in this. Hopefully it was a faulty batch of clutches and the replacement will be an effective cure.

incidentally, they did apparently renew the flywheel, could have been because it was worn or it could have been a belt & braces excercise to prevent me coming back & giving them more grief!

Well, with a big fat bonus hanging in the balance I expect he would have said that it could fly if you wanted it to... :blink:

Sorry - for some reason I am a bit cynical about car salesmen... ;)

Rog

Funny, that. I'm usually very cynical about car salesmen myself, but this one was very professional 'cos I actually believed him...........Doh!

Ah well! You live and learn......well, you live at least...