Front axle - repair or upgrade?

Woody3

I'm currently doing a nut and bolt restoration on my 1989 Ninety (it's been off the road since May).

I noticed yesterday that both swivels on the front axle are leaking - I need to check what is causing this.

Prior to spotting these leaks, I was hoping to upgrade the front calipers to the later td5 110 type, but were (still am) unsure if they're compatible with my existing front axle?

However, now I've noticed these leaks, would I benefit in just taking the plunge and do a whole axle swap (i.e. 300tdi overwards Defender or Discovery1)?

I did swap my rear drum braked axle to a disk braked version with these half shafts a few years ago, so it would be nice if they were matching front to back, but at the same time, if the later axles aren't as good as the early type, I'd rather repair what I have!

ftc3271.jpg

Any advice on the above would be much appreciated!

Thanks!