Disco 1 3.9 v8

Steeee

Hiya I’m Steve a long time lurker but a friend uses this forum and I keep meaning to post up

I own a lovely standard almost mint, original boot floor, arches sills and inner wings disco 1 3.9 v8 I brought the car from a chap that had owned it three times from new and covered 110k it’s only on 127k

im currently having a little gearbox issue with the auto box.

when you select drive it pulls away fine from cold with no worries until you ease off the throttle and reapply it it won’t shift back up to second 

Iv ordered fluid and a filter to see if that cures it failing that will get a temporary box and rebuild mine

60578306-A3D0-4FFF-AC80-099BD83AD818.jpeg

Hi and WELCOME  to the Forum

Its not unknown and has been posted a few times in forums that when the gearbox is cold in winter the gearbox is sluggish to change up after D is selected, usually a fluid change clears the issues. Iv never had any issues with my gearbox selection  so may not be that common, mines had the fluid changed a couple of times in its life so may or not helped.

Being unable to detect the gearbox selection is an good sign as it’s difficult to detect, if you can its usually a sign of wear, of course u know its dropping a ratio or two in kick-down.

Take the disco for a gearbox road test before and after the fluid change following the procedures below where possible. For more info download LRs disco workshop manual.

D6A89404-7DA1-438B-A5CE-5F1F34C0627D.thumb.png.7f29891ba7efb550ec5241d046d7a3ad.pngE0DC2BF5-7FF2-4576-A4D2-CBF4FE523414.thumb.png.b498fe3ce67fff7b68245ba5bbdd322a.png

Edited by teabag
  • Thanks 1