Oh, f***** **** **** **** **** **stard!

GBMUD

Water ingress looks like being the culprit.

I took the timing cover off a few minutes ago and there was a little water in there which I attribute to the water pump leaking a little during removal. The belt has snapped cleanly - ish - and with no other signs of distress. I removed it and gave the 11 month old genuine parts tensioner/idler a quick spin - bearings gone. My blood boiled and I started wondering how to go about getting my money back off Landrover with some compensation for inconvenience etc.. I removed the tensioner and, upon closer inspection there is evidence of rust on the mounting plate and bolt. I suspect the dust seal land on the front pulley as being the culprit. I knew it was not right and added it to the snagging list but it seems to have been forgotten. I have done a little (not much) wadeing in the last few months so I guess that my own negligence is at fault. Shame, I like blameing other people. ;)

To make matters worse - but I suspect that there is no better time to discover it - the water pump bearings are gone too. Oh well, it is just more money. :sigh:

Thanks all for your sympathy. :) All being well it will get mended tomorrow afternoon and I can go for my tyres.

Chris

I have changed others that are OK Bish... Do you have a god? :D

Paul, if it happens to you or someone else, put in a call to Autopost who will export the bits. Then you tow the car home or to a garage and go from there. There must be worse places to break down than Romania! :)

Chris

Thanks Chris, I have book marked that company. I am sure there are worse places to break down. My problem will be finding someone over there good with the spanners!