Axle Identification

Taimanov

Hi again everyone. thanks again for all the advice on replacing/repairing you gave me a few weeks ago. I've had several exciting deliveries from Frost and other places.

I am a touch stuck with working out which axles I have (ultimately I'm trying to buy new U Bolts so want to get the right part). I've looked for the stamp on the axles but it seems to have been worn down on the rear axle (so I can't read it) and has rusted away on the front axle (or is so covered in crud I can't find it).

The parts manual is obsessed with Axle suffixes "C", "D" and "E" etc but just can't find out what mine is? I'm a 1977 SIII SWB 2.25 Petrol if it helps. Any advice appreciated please!

Many thanks, Gordon

I think it’ll only be the threads that vary, but since you should be fitting new nylon nuts anyway, it’s a moot point.  I’d go for an earlier suffix as the post 1980 vehicles went metric, which will be the later suffix.  I don’t know what “D” suffix is, so I’d suggest going for “C”.