1960 SII 88" Rear prop shaft

Land1960

Hi.

I need to shorten my SII 88" rear prop shaft — another mistake ! Please don't ask... —, but I cannot find the proper lenght. Here are my measurements :

• from transmission flange to diff flange : 20" 7/8
  • compressed prop shaft (from flange to flange) : 20 3/4
  • prop shaft extended (from flange to flange) : 22 1/2

Thanks for your help !

Hi and welcome ,

I don't have one to hand to measure but if you email one of the UK suppliers ( I use Britcar ) I'm sure the shut length can be provided . Gywn Lewis may also have some info . I will have an 88 on the 4 post soon so can measure then if you still  need it 

Edit to add:

I've just checked the green bible and an 88" rear prop is 554mm/21.8" at mid sliding joint travel - it is the S3 WSM but should be the same for a S2

Steve 

Edited by steve b

Thanks for the info.

I"m not sure that I can rely only on the Green Bible since I dont have an original rear prop. It was rebuilt using the same tubes, but I made a (huge) newbee mistake when measuring the necessary lenght (please, just don't ask... its hurts enough already...).

What would be the (average) distance between the 2 tubes when the truck is on level ground ? I guess that would be a good way of measuring the lenght of the prop since you need an "ideal" distance to that the prop can slide back and forth.

Thanks.

Note : I don"t intend to go off-roading like hell (chassis too old), so I guess an approximation is going to be ok. Please state otherwise if I'm wrong.

Prop-Rear-88.jpg