Mystery of the missing oil......

Well, the compression test is OK, and the cylinders are fairly even.

I would really like a pic of the plugs (or just a couple) looking at the tip.

Certainly they don’t look oiled, in fact they look pretty good in terms of mixture etc.

Yes, 100C at those core plugs is excessive as the coolant will be at its hottest when it leaves the heads to the top hose, that why manufacturers generally put the water temp sensor in that position……………..but if you had run it for 30 minutes at 3K rpm stationary, then I would certainty expect a great deal of latent heat, so I guess the 100C may be a red herring.

Next Test………… get the car up to normal operating temperature and then find a long hill that you can go down on overrun…………. At the bottom give it some throttle and see if you leave a trail of blue smoke……….. post up the results ……. The longer the hill the better……… if you do then the valve guides / stems are fu worn.

Yet another test…………… at operating temp, drive down the road at about 50mph for a mile or 3 and suddenly cut the engine, then take out a plug or 2 and photograph the tip…… the other way is to take out a plug or 2 and fit spares…………….. this test is called a ‘plug chop’ and can tell you quite a lot.

MOG could well be right about glazed bores ……….. although incorrectly fitted oil control rings (the bottom lowest ring :lol: ) also come to mind. I cant quite see how the bores could glaze so quickly (in 6K?) unless of course somebody forgot to cross hone the bores during the rebuild.

:D

Ian

ok. Ian.. Will have to wait until the weekend for the next tests..... We have a hill nearby that is 2 miles long and approx. 1 in 15 so will use that...

re. the plugs, I don't have any new spares but have the old set (Not bad condition at all) I can give a good clean up and check gap etc..... I'll replace with those.

The ones looking everso slightly different from the rest are 3 and 6... Both being slightly darker which could indicate some oil I suppose....7 has some sort of additional pitting around the back shoulder of the spark element which I'll get closer shot of too.

I'll chop after a few miles at 50 on the three indicated and get shots. Replace all three with cleaned plugs, do another 5 - 10 miles at 50 and grab some shots of those too.

Any value in getting the exhaust gases analysed ? May be able to get that done tomorrow if the things is still working.. Been in the corner for a year collecting dust !

Thanks for your help thus far.... I may just sell the lump in good working order on E-blag and slap in a 4.2... I'm getting tired of this lark ! New Weber 500 and Edelbrock should help the sale !!! :)

You can grab the posted picture above and zoom in quite well.

If I were posing the picture, what view and level of detail would you desire.... (Should be able to accommodate most things..)

Exhaust tests done today...

CO2 still well under required.

Hydrocarbons... I was told the engine spec could go as high as 470 but the reading was in the area of 300. So no excess of fuel unburnt in the mixture out the back and with a reading that low, unlikely to be much oil at all !

Last things will be the over-run and plug chopping tests tomorrow and if as I suspect, the valves guides etc. all are ok, I'll be blaming the oil stealing pixie my car has obviously managed to aquire...

Neil

The rest of the world caught up with me this weekend so I didn't get to do the over-run tests or the plug chop. Will aim to chop plugs one evening this week and post the results....

Why does life do that?

You are happy just doing your own thing and then "BANG"...... People remember you are alive !!