OT - Hydraulic ram leaking

L19MUD

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

That may be so, but most rams are standard sizes and you would have the size of the pistons, surely they could have quoted for top notch and middle of the road seal kits

Regards Stephen

I went to a local hydraulic repair shop with the ram sizes and even photos and the quote range was huge.  When I pinned the manager down, he said seals were $NZ150 each and labour $85 an hour but he couldn't really predict the amount of work involved without stripping them down.  However, he did shrink the range and I believe it could end up in the same ball park as L19MUD paid.  I do understand that too.  How many times have we pulled various seals out of our Land Rovers and found the faces they seal on, or the bushes/bearings that locate them, are not in great condition and need attention too?  Or found old components very hard to prise apart?

I don't mind a bit of wear, or even if new seals weep a bit.  I'm just outside doing tracks and firewood, after all.  A business, though, has to be confident that won't happen.  Their standards are higher and higher standards cost more...

• Like 3