coolant hose issue.

mik711

So, finally got the 4.2 defender fired up tonight.... ish. After realising I had the timing 180 degrees out I got that problem sorted and went to calibrate the tps so the MS2 knew what it was doing but could not link the laptop to the ecu. Fired it up anyway and IT RUNS!! However, there is a pipe coming out of the back of the water pump horizontally that I hadn't noticed and I don;t know where it should be connected to but it definitely needs connecting as I lost most of the coolant.  When I bought the engine the heater pipes were connected so it's not that. Plenum heater pipe was connected also and I have plumbed the return into the coolant overflow tank. If I plumb the mystery pipe into the bottom hose it will just form a loop and do nothing. Any ideas anyone?? By the way I have been reading on here and have switched off the bluetooth on the laptop and hopefully I can connect to the ecu when I get back to the garage tomorrow. Eagerly awaiting everyones answers as I'm desperate to get back on the road.

Mick.

Got the engine and gearbox from a classic range rover breakers in wales. It's a v belt engine and the water pump inlet points down to 7 o clock when looking from the front of the engine. The heater pipes were still on the engine connected to the metal pipes bolted  along the left hand rocker cover when looking from the front. These got connected to the heater. The header tank is the black plastic 300 tdi version. The return pipe that comes from under the butterfly returns to this. May be able to get some pics later today when I get back from the garage.

Going to sign out now and get back to the garage. Might be able to see better in the daylight as it was getting dark last night when I finally got it fired up and the light in the garage isn't the best. Will report back with any answers, more info and possibly pics if I can work out how to load them onto here.

So, here is the hose outlet on the back of the water pump. There is one directly behind it that feeds the heater but the only place I can see this going is back into the bottom rad hose which it is fed from but don't really understand the purpose of that. On a lighter note, I got the laptop to pair with the ecu so once the hose is in place I can finish off and get the old girl mot'ed

mystery hose.jpg

PROBLEM SOLVED!! The guy in the garage fitted the new pipes and fitted the heater pipe to a blanked off pipe spigot just behind the one circled. He's also fitted a BMW electric fan and cowl which he says looks like it was made to fit the radiator. Will be going up to the garage on saturday to hopefully get it up and running. Please await further MS2 related mishaps, problems and general errors related here in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1