Defender rear axle leak.

Evening chaps hope every one is as well has can be.

Stripped rear axle tonight and on removing the hub cap that goes over the drive shaft and circlip it was filled with ep90. Just wondering from people's experience how is it getting there? My thought if oils getting out there water is getting in there! 

Tia 

What vehicle and year is it?

If it has leaked oil out onto the hub or wheel, then it won’t be leaking water in.  Early models allowed diff oil to lubricate the wheel bearings and half shaft/drive flange splines.  Later models have an added seal to keep the diff oil in the axle tube and away from the innards of the hubs, so the wheel bearings only have the grease they were assembled with and the splines go dry, causing premature corrosion and wear.  That is why so many owners like me remove or tear the lips off those seals - they only seem to serve parts sales, not reliability or longevity.

• Like 2

If you are going to let the oil lubricate you need the RTC3511 seal for the hub. And its a good idea to be sure the breather is clear, if blocked it can cause leaks ( guess how I know).