SIII Safari doors... no locks!

Junglie

Hi,

Forgive me - I'm a Series virgin.

Mate has just bought an S3 Safari and is trying to work out why the rear doors don't lock. Turns out it's because they, um, don't have locks...

Is that normal and just a quirk? And if so, is there a sensible way round it without drilling holes in the doors and having extra keys etc?

Thanks and sorry for the probably oft-asked question - on my phone and can't work the search.

Series vehicles only had key barrels on the driver’s door and (as fitted) the rear door - the front passenger door, and on 109 SWs the rear passenger doors, all have internally operated locks only; it’s a rotating knob next to the lifting latch lever.  As memory serves, it spring loaded with a detent system so you have to push or pull the knob to be able to rotate it in either direction, but I can’t remember now whether it was push or pull.

Memory is coming back… the knob has a shaft through the plate that presses in to directly block the upward motion of the latch handle.  The knob is held in by rotating it 90 degrees.  It is a bayonet type system, like a light bulb, but I think it can continue all the way around , having a lock/unlock position every 90 degrees of rotation.

• Thanks 1