Here now and after a Rangie!

Fish13

Well, after a month of frantic packing and visa applying, myself and my wife are finally here in New Zealand! We are absolutely loving it so far. We have a rented house in New Plymouth on the North Island.

Have done things the right way this time and have bought a sensible car first and am now on the hunt for a good, clean classic Rangie!

Typical, there were loads on Trade Me before I came over (I want a 2 door 70's one) and now I'm here there is a drought!

I'll bide my time and get as good an example as I can afford.

Hope to see some of you in my travels and thanks to all the advice and answers before I arrived!

Cheers,

Hugo.

Dont worry, you'll find a bargain at some stage. I bought a 73 rangerover last december for $750. It had LPG, warrant of fitness and registration. Just the engine was tired and the transferbox pops out of high. So naturally I decided to take it offroad, and ive now damaged all my pretty panels <_< .

Point is, the deals will come up.

BTW, how much is it to buy bits to rebuild a rover 3.5 over there in england? I may look at bringing some bits in

Hi Efi,

I was rebuilding a 3.5 when I left, had to leave it.

A company called realsteel is very good for parts, everything to do with a V8 they sell! Very good on prices generally as well. It depends I guess on what sort of rebuild you want. Paddocks do a lot of stock parts for the V8 and are good prices as well, although the kit is standard.

I spent ages and ages cleaning a block, then had it dipped, then a rebore to +20thou done, then honed and had gotten new camshaft bearings and a 3.9 cam for it. Pretty gutted I left it now!!!!

Ho hum....

Whereabouts are you based?

Cheers,

Hugo.

Hugo

A good Mate has moved to Hawks bay from Somerset late last year his container of L/Rs is due this month with some other classic sports cars.

what are you doing for work out here?

Hi White90,

I'm working for Weatherford as a project engineer. Exciting stuff.

Sounds very interesting 'a container of Land Rover's and sportscars'! Wow...

What's he got?

Hi Efi (what's your name?)

Sounds like general wear. What's the mileage? What colour is the smoke?

Paddocks have always been fine with me, although of course never ordered from overseas.

Wellington isn't that far away, nice to know there is another Land Rover nut in the vicinity!

Missing my V8, want to come and work on yours now!

Hugo.

My names Turoa B)

Transfer case is now stuffed so Im thinking about what im going to do to it. I want to have my Landrover done before any work goes to the range rover (S2a, toyota diffs, coils etc). So its going to sit in the naughty corner of the back yard. I do know of a 2 door down here, thats up the road from me that isnt particularly tidy (has been used offroad).

I have a spare v8 that I might get some new parts for and throw in there. I think the clock has been around at least once. Smoke is blue/ white colour. And it burns alot of oil so id say it was probably the rings.

Im also thinking of maybe throwing in a lexus v8 and auto (very cheap here. $1000 nz, so about 330 pounds maybe)

My names Turoa B)

I do know of a 2 door down here, thats up the road from me that isnt particularly tidy (has been used offroad).

Hi Turoa!

Sounds like I'm talking to you on the ORE forum! Hello!

If it's a cheap enough 2 door then please tell me more about the one up the road!

Cheers,

Hugo.

My names Turoa B)

I do know of a 2 door down here, thats up the road from me that isnt particularly tidy (has been used offroad).

Hi Turoa!

Sounds like I'm talking to you on the ORE forum! Hello!

If it's a cheap enough 2 door then please tell me more about the one up the road!

Cheers,

Hugo.

Yep, thats me on ORE.

I can go up the road and have a chat to him and find out how much he wants if you wish

• 2 weeks later...