New Zealand Army Series 2

Guest MJG

Does any body know anything about Series IIs as used by the New Zealand Army??

Was out an about yesterday looking for a td5 Discovery for my daughters boyfriend (Long story) and was we whizzed through a village in West Yorkshire we spotted by the road side a Series II described as a Unique 1961 (i think) ex New Zealand Army Land Rover for sale at £2,700.

Kicking myself for not taking any pics (or buying the thing on the spot!!!) but it was very nice looking in a very dark hand painted green paint. The front wings were cut away much more than a standard Series II and it was claimed to have been fully re-built. It was fitted with a large bull bar fabricated from flat steel. It was fully kitted out with Jerry can on the rear and a shovel on the top of the front wing.

The canvas top looked to be in excellent condition and overall it looked just superb. Didn't have time to stay and have a proper look or check out evidence of it's claimed history - just a view really as to how likely it is to be genuine. But if somebody in here does know the vehicle or who is selling it I would appreciare a PM with contact info.

Many thanks.

I noted the guys number down as in the window but have obviously noted it down incorrectly as it is not obtainable.

Does any body know anything about Series IIs as used by the New Zealand Army??

Was out an about yesterday looking for a td5 Discovery for my daughters boyfriend (Long story) and was we whizzed through a village in West Yorkshire we spotted by the road side a Series II described as a Unique 1961 (i think) ex New Zealand Army Land Rover for sale at £2,700.

Kicking myself for not taking any pics (or buying the thing on the spot!!!) but it was very nice looking in a very dark hand painted green paint. The front wings were cut away much more than a standard Series II and it was claimed to have been fully re-built. It was fitted with a large bull bar fabricated from flat steel. It was fully kitted out with Jerry can on the rear and a shovel on the top of the front wing.

The canvas top looked to be in excellent condition and overall it looked just superb. Didn't have time to stay and have a proper look or check out evidence of it's claimed history - just a view really as to how likely it is to be genuine. But if somebody in here does know the vehicle or who is selling it I would appreciare a PM with contact info.

Many thanks.

I noted the guys number down as in the window but have obviously noted it down incorrectly as it is not obtainable.

If I were to hazard a guess,I would say it would be similar to its contemporary Australian Army ''Cutwing'' models. These also had crashbars made from flat steel and pioneer tool holders on the tops of both front wings.Unlike their British counterparts the cutwing models in short wheelbase as well as long had deeper spring hangers and longer spring shackles front and rear, but I believe this practice only began with the introduction of the series 2a models. Series 2 models had standard wings and civilian chassis IIRC.

Bill.

If I were to hazard a guess,I would say it would be similar to its contemporary Australian Army ''Cutwing'' models. <SNIP

Bill.

Cheers for that you are spot on. Just Done a Google picture search for 'Cutwing Land Rover' and unearthed this image. It did indeed look very similar to the attached. The colour was more like the trailer in this picture and as I say it had the tools on the wings. The rest though is pretty similar.

Thanks for that.

post-174-1173684205_thumb.jpg

Here in NZ, they are called skippy's. They have longer military shackles, cut front guards (yes, they do have a lip on which you can screw flares), you can mount tools on teh bonnet aswell. Unfortunately, I dont know too much about them, but if you join the yahoo group "NZLROC" you should be able to get the answers, if any, that you want

Were these "cutwings" ever used by the british army? My ex-mil IIA had very similar looking wings fitted when I bought her, but presumed that the previous owner had cut them away, to make it look more like a lightweight (see attachment). So I took them off and replaced them with normal civvy ones. If they're genuine I might well put the originals back on.

Cheers,

Chris

post-2925-1173734018_thumb.jpg