merc 404 portal help

phil_a

hi all bit of a begging post but i was wondering if any body has got an exploded diagram for a set of merc 404 portals axles. i have got a set that i am going to strip and rebuild but i would be nice to know how it all comes apart before i go diving in.

cheers phil

hi all bit of a begging post but i was wondering if any body has got an exploded diagram for a set of merc 404 portals axles. i have got a set that i am going to strip and rebuild but i would be nice to know how it all comes apart before i go diving in.

cheers phil

Hi phil, i have a set of exploded diagrams down the workshop, can get them tomorrow and email them to you if you pm me your address. When rebuilding them make sure you get the reduction gears on the correct sides so any forces are against the inner case. Rob

If you are going to remove the differentials, I believe there is a bit of a trick to it. Something to do with locking it first, undoing the banjo nuts/bolts, drifting the studs into the housing, and turning the diff 90 degrees before lifting it out. Al or Andy or Dan will be able correct any misinformation I have given here.

bill.

Yup - what he said - fully engage the locker (use some zip ties to hold it on).

Any pins can be drifted into the housing and retrieved afterwards (count 'em!).

Separate the third member housing a few mm, twist it 90 degrees, and lift it straight out.

Al.