Transylvanian colleague has brake trouble!

Paul64

Hi guys,

A colleague of mine in Transylvania has reported the following:-

Did a day trip yesterday and found severe brake judder on my LR - bit worried about this as I had rear brake callipers (it has discs all round) replaced in UK - I have a feeling there's a problem with the front brakes and all the work is being done by the back ones.....

Any ideas as he is a bit stuck.... please pardon the pun.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi, got some more info tonight. Maybe this will help with the diagnosis?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Paul

Tried my brakes again today - very strange...... Most of the time braking from 40 mph or less in 3rd or 4th gear they were fine. A few times though braking in 5th gear or from a higher speed I got the severe judder through the steering wheel. I wonder maybe if a front disc is warped, one side front calliper or pistons are sticking, or there is a bush gone in the steering or front suspension? Springs are good all round, shockers are new gas Monroe's, steering linkages have been checked and have no play and tyres are inflated correctly. Weird. However since braking is okay most of the time I don't think its panic time!

Get him to check front wheel beraings for excess play & check front pads for contamination, wheel balance - might have lost a balance weight off one front wheel.

Thanks for your comments Ralph. I will forward them to him.

Cheers,

Paul